Quienes hayáis leído El Péndulo, sabréis a qué me refiero, pero, para lxs que no lo hayan hecho, resumiré un poco la cuestión: Manuzio es una máquina de hacer dinero aprovechándose de la vanidad de lxs escritorxs primerizxs. Se hace que el/la escritor/a de turno autoedite su libro, se le llenan los ojos con lo fácilmente que venderá el mínimo de copias y recuperará el dinero invertido obteniendo, además, beneficios por ello... el/la incautx paga el dinero por los (pongamos) 50 ejemplares que se le entregarán en mano para que los venda por sí mismo, y aparte hay otros (pongamos) 250 de cuya distribución se encargará Manuzio. Esos 250 ejemplares no se llegan a imprimir jamás, el director de Manuzio se pone en contacto con el/la pringadx de turno para decirle que el público no está respondiendo, que esa obra está adelantada a su tiempo, que la gente es tonta y que... o el/la escritor/a compra los 250 ejemplares restantes, o bien paga un tanto por los gastos de impresión.
Viene siendo un timo piramidal de los de toda la vida. El editor nunca pierde, y quien pringa es el/la "artista". ¿Creéis que hago mal en acordarme de Manuzio al leer el MP que os copio a continuación? ¿Y si, aún encima, tenemos en cuenta que si vas a la web del supuesto sello discográfico (http://www.quickstarproductions.com/news.php), te encuentras con que se dedican a... la edición de CDs?
Vs. The World--
I heard your song, “Cop Killer” and I am very impressed with it. We are currently working on a benefit compilation CD titled “Vs. The World”. It will feature Punk and Pop Punk artists from across the scene. I believe that your song would be a perfect fit on this project and I would be honored to have you take part.
My name is Danny Bryant, and I am a project manager with Quickstar Productions, as well as a musician. Quickstar Productions is a company that specializes in designing music-marketing campaigns and supplying digital distribution services for record labels and independent artists. In 2005, Quickstar Productions released its first Comp CD as a way to promote unsigned artists. This CD was extraordinarily successful in accomplishing its mission! Over the years the company has built off that success and perfected a marketing plan to maximize exposure for the artist. Quickstar Productions is based out of Baltimore, MD USA and is an active member of the Maryland Better Business Bureau with an “A” rating.
“Vs. the World” is a CD designed to raise money and awareness for the issue of climate change through partnerships with the Go Green Initiative and A Brighter Planet. Keeping with the spirit of helping our environment this will be a green CD. It will be printed on recycled paper with natural inks. Money raised from this CD will be donated to charities like the Go Green Initiative, as well as organizations like Brighter Planet who help lower the carbon footprint of corporations and individuals. On top of their financial contributions, Quickstar Productions believes in helping to raise awareness and continuing education on important environmental issues like climate change.
We really want this CD to make a difference to our planet, but we also want it to be advantageous to the artists on it as well. Therefore we have designed a complete marketing plan for the CD. “Vs. The World” will be marketed and made available in the following ways:
1. PHYSICAL SALES: You will receive 50 copies of the CD to sell at whatever price you choose. These will be professionally produced, retail ready CD’s. We recommend selling them for $8. That way you can make $400. You keep 100% of your sales. This is a great way to get more merchandise to sell at your shows and also a way to target other fans in your genre. The idea is that when each artist sells their 50 copies, the other artists on the CD will have their music exposed to other fans of your genre of music. Therefore, your song will be exposed to many new listeners.
2. DIGITAL SALES: The compilation will be made available for sale in all digital stores including iTunes, Rhapsody, Wal-Mart, Napster, and Amazon. Your song will also be available as a ringtone that your fans may purchase. You will receive 50% of profits generated.
3. EXPOSURE: The CD will be sent to record labels, marketing, and management firms. Along with the CD, a booklet featuring your picture and bio will be made available so they can learn a little bit more about you. In addition, free promo copies will be handed out at concerts in the Baltimore/Washington area. Quickstar Productions will also promote the album through the use of MySpace.
4. RADIO: The CD will be sent to college and internet radio stations and be featured on various podcasts throughout the world.
5. NETWORKING: Developing a network with other musicians is key to one’s success. This comp CD is a chance to do so. You will be provided with all the other artists’ information before the CD is released so that you can start show swapping with one another, networking and helping each other out.
To have your song included on our upcoming compilation CD please visit our website, Quickstarproductions com, to download the submission forms. We do not charge a fee to be on “Vs. the World” but we do ask that you purchase 50 CD’s to distribute at cost ($165). That way we can cover the costs of the project so that as large of portion of the proceeds can be donated as possible. This will be the only cost to you. One of the most important parts of this project is getting the CD into the hands of fans. The more CD’s that you are able to distribute the more exposure everyone gets.
Please check out www QuickstarProductions com for more info on this compilation. Since we plan to release this CD as soon as possible, we ask that all submissions be returned by Aug. 15th. If you're interested and you'd like to talk more about the project, feel free to contact me! I try to check Myspace but I'm more easily reachable through e-mail or by phone. Thanks, and I hope to hear back from you soon! We appreciate your interest in helping fight global warming.
vstheworld @ quickstarproductions com
PS. If you would like to check out the other CD’s we have done they are available on iTunes, Napster, eMusic, Amazon, etc, just search for “Quickstar Productions”.